With our simple and straightforward approach, you’ll learn how to keep a small flock of happy and productive laying hens.
Sally, our Chicken Expert and Experienced Course Leader.
“I have kept and bred chickens for many years, and I’ve enjoyed every moment with my feathered friends! My approach to chicken care is simple and straightforward. I believe that chickens should live long, happy and healthy lives. I also believe that you should be able to enjoy your flock enormously. Over the years, I have helped many keepers achieve this happy balance.
Keeping chickens can be as simple or as complicated as you want to make it, and every experienced keeper will have their own advice to give to beginners. This course is my way of introducing you to keeping chickens. It will fully prepare you for a lifetime of hen ownership.”
The Introduction to Keeping Chickens Course lasts for three hours. During this fun and informative course, you will learn about all aspects of chicken husbandry including:
- Laws and Livestock
- Time and Expenses involved in keeping chickens
- Housing Requirements – Coops, Runs and Ground Management
- Which Coop Should I buy?
- Chicken Keeping Equipment – Feeders and Drinkers
- Which Feeder and Drinker Should I buy?
- Predator Proofing and Pest Control
- Human Health around Chickens
- Feeds, Feeding and Digestive health
- Chicken Health and First-Aid
- Catching and Handling Chickens
- Choosing the right chickens – Getting what you want and need
- Storing eggs safely
- Selling eggs – The Farm Gate Law
Those who attend will receive a full copy of the course, with additional information, as well as some complimentary tea and cake!
Our courses take place at Detling Village Hall in Maidstone, Kent.
Course Dates 2019: