The benefits of keeping a flock of chickens go far beyond the baskets of freshly laid eggs. Hens are friendly, fun and intelligent animals who will bring new life into your garden. Learn more about living the good life with Sally: a chicken keeping expert. With her hands-on approach, advice and support you will learn everything you need to know to care for and to enjoy your feathered friends!
Introduction to Keeping Chickens Course
This fun and informative chicken-keeping short-course will teach you absolutely everything you need to know to become a happy hen keeper with happy hens! You will learn about all aspects of small-flock keeping including:
- Laws and Livestock
- Time and Expense Required
- Housing Requirements – Coops, Enclosures and your Garden
- Predator Proofing
- Pest Control
- Feeds, Feeding and Digestive health
- Chicken Health – common ailments, parasites and diseases
- Chicken First-Aid and First-Aid Kits
- Catching and Handling Chickens
- Health and Safety – hygiene and transmittable diseases
- Choosing Chickens – getting what you want and need
- Life-cycle of chickens – what age is right for you?
- Chicken breeds – which are right for you?
- Storing eggs safely
- Selling eggs – The Farm Gate Law
This course runs all year round and lasts for half a day: four hours. Everyone who attends our chicken courses will enjoy some lunch, tea and cake!
Eggciting News! Course Attendees will now also receive unique discount codes for coops, incubators and hatching equipment as well as chicken keeping equipment! These are unique to Happy Garden Hens!
Throughout the day we will also discuss your own unique set-up, requirements and wishes. Sally, the course tutor, won’t leave until you are absolutely confident that you know how to care for and enjoy your hens!
Courses take place at the lovely Village Hall in Detling. We can also travel to your property to conduct the course for your family and friends.
Courses at Detling Village Hall
£40 per person
£10 per child (over the age of 10)
Course Dates 2019: